Open and Distance Education Centre of Tribhuvan University (ODEC, TU), established in 2015, is a constituent academic organization of TU that aims to provide quality higher education to the wide range of individuals in Nepal and abroad through open and distance learning mode. ODEC has the mandate to offer higher education in all subjects approved by the university. Growing demand of distance education both at home and abroad, conflicting schedule to attend the face-to-face mode of education for the working professionals, integration of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in pedagogy and TU’s policy to run dual mode programmes to serve the mass were
some of the factors that justified the establishment of Open and Distance Education Centre (ODEC).
The goals of ODEC are as follows:
- To provide access and quality in higher education to the wide range of people through open and distance learning mode.
- To establish and operationalize e-library (e-repository and e-resources) for distance and online mode of higher education;
- To establish a high quality and sustainable ICT infrastructure and develop it as a leading e-learning provider in the country for open and distance learning;
- To provide professional and non-academic courses as continuing education for the adults;
- To train professionals in e-learning, e-pedagogy and e-education;
- To conduct research, seminars, conferences with a particular focus on distance education, blended learning, technology integration and life-long learning; and
- To collaborate with national and international organizations in different areas of education, research and innovations.
Programmes and Couses Offered ODEC currently offers Master’s programme in certain subjects of Faculty of Education. In the future, all the programmes of TU will be run in dual mode as far as practicable. Current programmes that ODEC offers include:
1) M. Ed. in English Education
2) M. Ed. in Mathematics Education
The pedagogy of ODEC consists of a combination of a very short face-to-face orientation followed by a continuous interaction between students and teachers through virtual classroom. ODEC uses Moodle as the virtual learning platform in which students find the materials to read, comment and engage themselves in various tasks, exercises and activities.\
Mr. Ganga Ram Gautam, PhDDirector
Open and Distance Education Centre
Kirtipur, Kathmandu, Nepal